From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 10:35:27 -0800
 On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Jerry Fries wrote:

>         This is interesting! When I offered communication as a sign of
> intelligence I was thinking about the famous bee dance. One bee returns to
> the hive and insructs some of the others . She will tell another bee what
> is of interest,where it is , how far it is from the hive, and in a way that
> we can understand. We can even create a little imitation communicator and
> direct the bees ourselves. They do not have a fifty thousand word
> vocabulary but it works for them. Who knows the bees may de able to
> understand each other better than humans understand each other.Humans think
> in words most of the time, but what about the person who is deaf and dumb?
> Is that person intelligent even though they cannot use words to think with?
> I sounds as though you may have bit off an awful lot to chew with this
> suject.
 Hi Jerry and All ,
  Jerry you did a good job.Intelligence is a way for our ego to bring us
up over everything else on earth.I have been around some very intellegent
people in my life. Two of which taught me nuclear physics.They were hand
picked by Himmen Rickover to teach at the Naval nuclear power school. They
both recieved there Masters at MIT in 2 1/2 months plus had all the
logrithims in there heads.I did not belive the Lord would make human
computers. These men were great teachers also.I would say that they were
very intelligent people.Communication skills are needed in teaching and
they did an outstanding job teaching us some very complex ideas.
 The Honeybee has ammazed man for a very long time.The deeper we get into
this wonderful insect the more questions come up for us to answer. The
idea of intelligence , collective or otherwise is a mute point. It is only
for pumping up mans ego. If we take the size of the bees brain and write
down all of the known behaviors that we know of , we would find there % of
usage  of there brain cells much higher than ours.
  If Man was really intellegent ( smart) they would not be in a race to
distroy this planet and each other.If we were intellegent we would be
symbiotic with this eartth.  I do have a problem with calling a honeybee
stupid. I have seen some very funny landings at the entrance of a
hive.They do not land very smooth sometimes , but knowing what I do know
of the bee , I would not call them stupid , because they have a landing
problem.
 I would like to thank the people who have posted on this thread.We have
great people all around this globe that really love honeybees for what
they are and what they do for the Earth. We do have some very intellegent
people working to help the bee and us. It is wonderful to see people from
all around the Earth have respect and love for the honeybee.
 Best Regards
 Roy