From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:01:23 -0600
Hello Allen & All,
Allen wrote:
Honey should not be heated . Period. 100 degrees F. is the limit of warming
after that damage occurs.
All health food stores I sell to put the limit at 120 F. before damage
occurs. All Beekeepers selling in grocery  stores set their heat limit at
150 F. to prevent crytalization on the shelves.  Their reasoning is based on
the *Dyce* research.  For Years I only sold in the 55 gallon drums and never
added any heat (or filtered the honey).  Skimmed the top and sent the drums
the Western Commerce. . Any honey heated over 160F. is said to be
pasteurized. I have never seen a large scale packing line run with a temp
lower than 170 F. When there has been a breakdown and the bottling needs to
speeded up I have seen higher temperatures.
I agree with Allen as to the 100F. being the best temperature to protect the
integrity of the honey but you will have to look for quite a while to find
unheated honey in the stores.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri