From:
Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:24:42 -0400
Hello all,
      Just wanted to pass along something I experienced last night...

   I was re-queening a recently captured swarm last night.  The need to
capture the old queen required me to work the hive without gloves.  I
recommend everyone who wears gloves to take them off and work your hives
(Keep the gloves close just in case!).
  After the first bee crawled on my hand and up my arm.  I watched her
crawl around for a few minutes.  Once I adjusted, it was easy to ingnore
the bees that landed on my arms.
  I noticed that I was naturally working slower, and gentler.  My sense of
'feel' was greatly improved.  You will not squash as many bees.  As you
adjust your grip or move your hands, you feel the bees under your fingers
before you have crushed them.
  I also noticed that the bees were not as aggitated as they were when I
worked them before.  None popping the veil, or buzzing my head.  I had
always thought I was moving slowly, and being careful..  Guess I wasn't.

I will take the gloves with me to the hives, but I will not put them on
unless the bees are mean.  I'd recommend all newbies 'go gloveless' and see
how it is...  All these experienced beekeepers can't be wrong.

Rod Billett
Lexington, SC USA