From:
Kent Stienburg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:45:47 -0800
Bob Young wrote:

> I am going to add a few more hives this year (package bees) and I was
> wondering if any of my fellow Texans
> have experience with Carniolans. I have heard they are a northern bee; but
> I was thinking if they have an early
> spring buildup it would really help in the east texas area. I understand
> they are gentle and do not readily rob;
> I really had a lot of trouble last year with the drought inducing my
> italian "girls " into this destructive behavior.
> The old time beekeepers in my area say you can either make honey or make
> bees ( which means package bees
>  will generally not make surplus honey the first year and likewise with
> splits) due to the relatively short nectar flow.
>  I have read the Carniolans are slow in comb buildup and this might be a
> problem due to the above statement.
> I would like to hear comments, good or bad about my possible purchase.
> Thanks,
> Bob Young
> Lindale,TX

Hello Bob,

Wish I was in Texas right now.  The snow is piling up here.  I have kept
Carnolians for awhile now.  I purchase them from a beekeeper who goes to
Australia to pick the queens up.  He works there for two months and then
brings back breeder queens.  I have also heard the statement that they
are northern bees only.  But there are few places hotter then Australia.
Its true they are fairly gentle, I have 3 carnolian hives 30' from my
driveway and I mow the lawn right by the hives. Not 1 sting or threat of
sting.  They do build up very rapidly in the spring so your swarm
control has to be in place. I haven't noticed them being much slower at
comb building then Buckfast or Italian.  They also are not as prone to
brood diseases as other strains.  Here in Canada we have found that they
have some resistance to tracheal mites. They don't readily rob as easy
as the italians but they still will if pushed to extremes. I make splits
every year and they still make honey.  The queen can be hard to find
because of her dark colour. I hope this helps.  Feel free to write back
if you have more questions
--
Kent Stienburg
Remove NOSPAM to reply.