From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:34:50 -0500
Concerning putting strips in during February, Ted writes "On the other hand,
February seems to be too late in winter to get the
broodless period.  Why not do it in December, as I think has been suggested?
If one were to wait until February I would think it would be better to wait
longer for warmer weather."

The thinking is that February is as late as possible to put them in, and
still get the supers on about May 1.  This particular beekeeper has 60
yards, and 1600 colonies, so just getting to all the yards can take 2 weeks,
depending on weather.  Then pulling the strips and putting on supers can
take another two weeks...and so forth.

As Apistan only kills 99% of the mites, putting them on in December lets
there be some buildup during May-June that is postponed with a later
treatment.

Lloyd
Email [log in to unmask]
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm), the finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com