From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:51:36 -0600
I'm coming to
> believe that nosema is more of a problem than I previously thought.

Thanks Randy for always keeping an open mind.

Research  currently being done in Germany at the University of Wurzburg is
based on the hypothesis bees fed exclusively on Bt pollen are found to be
more sensitive to nosema. Their experiments are based on a similar study
done a few years ago at Jena University. ( source page 16 of The organic &
Non_GMO Report  issue  # 118 November 2011)

Please do not kill the messenger but I welcome all research on a connection
between corn ( midwest corn is GMO) and nosema ceranae as I see a connection
between corn & bee health issues.

Question:
What other things can trigger nosema?

I have witnessed hundreds  of hives unable to take feed. The maker of
fumigillin says what we are seeing is the symptoms of a late stage nosema
problem. Hence the reason the maker changed the label to include a drench.

Dr. Eric Mussen ( U.C Davis) described in great detail the issue when he
spoke at the Missouri State beekeepers meeting.

The consequences of risking the above in a commercial operation are real.
Loss of pollination contracts and honey crop plus hive replacement costs.

Its a helpless feeling when you see the problem. I have pissed many a
beekeeper off with my recommendations (which are based on personal
experience).

I do not understand why nosema problems can escalate so fast. I do
understand that even regular fumigillin treatments do not keep spore counts
at a level I would feel comfortable with.

The above discussions on nosema ceranae are in the archives as fighting
Nosema C. for me dates back around five years.

Still there are beekeepers which have not seen the above problems. Australia
has a growing problem I have been told.

Commercial beekeepers are the front lines of most new beekeeping problems.
Articles come along later and finally research.

bob