From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:48:46 -0400

>One thing that cropped up is that individuals mention about placing
>colonies on top of others - for heat support etc.
>  So how are the piled colonies separated from each other?
>With inner covers only, queen excludes - or any other permutation?

My nuc boxes have a solid bottom...same outside dimensions as the hive
body. They sit directly on the inner cover of the colony below. When I
winter singles, I add another inner to the bottom...rim up, notch to the
back of the hive. This gives the top a rear entrance...to prevent
drift...and a bee space below the combs of the top colony. Insulation goes
on the inne4r cover of the top colony.

>For good heat transfer from bottom unit to supported top unit: I presume
>that the bottom one has its lid removed, inner cover only in place, with
>the upper unit having its floor in place.

>I should put my mind to an intermediate screen of some sort allowing
>better heat transfer to take place. Then investigate.

I wouldn't do this. There is enough moisture in the hives already, the top
doesn't need more coming from below.

>Successful wintering here abouts comes down to adequate food, well
>prepared with a good number of healthy winter bees.

Same as here.

Mike