From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2013 13:22:54 +1000
On 1/05/2013 9:32 AM, Christina Wahl wrote:
> I agree.  Just like the "wax moths all freeze to death" idea...we should guard against dogma.

Yes we should, but
>   Tim has seen wax moth larvae crawling around at -40C in Alberta (which by the way is the temperature where F and C cross paths...i.e. the SAME!).  And this spring for the first time, I have seen lots of soil invertebrates active at below freezing temperatures.
these two statements really demand more data.  How could wax moth larvae
avoid freezing?  Have they suddenly evolved anti freeze chemicals?  Or
were the larvae actually at the quoted  (ambient?) temp.?  Were they in
fact wax moth larvae?  Similarly with the soil invertebrates.

Geoff Manning