From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:38:07 -0700
At 12:35 PM 8/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

Hi Dale,

>What are the techniques currently being used with Formic Acid.  It is

In the US NO use of Formic Acid to control bee pests is permitted at this
time. The product that may ask for approval is a single application package
of Formic Acid in a gel form. The beekeeper or applicator will have to put
the package inside the hive and split or open it to release the fumes. He
will then after the recommended period of time return and remove the
packaging material and residue.

>What are the treatment plans that a professional beekeeper with a mite
problem uses?

For the use of Formic Acid and its different forms of use outside of the
USA I will leave it for those with the experience to say. The possibilities
are only limited by ones imagination and local regulations when one can use
the real thing which may be sprayed, evaporated in the hive, mixed in a
foaming or gel agent, you name it. Is it a considered the valuable tool
that some would like you to think it is....I think not?

>Thanks if you have an answer you can share

For your size operation I would suggest you stay on the righteous path and
use whatever is prescribed in your area which for most in the US is the
Apistan strips BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE VARROA MITES!