From:
"C.R. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:51:26 -0500
Mr. Slade is correct in that I was not following the prescribed regimen. I
was following a
suggestion from Richard Taylor in "Gleanings in Bee Culture".  Upon removing
the strips
I stored them in sealed plastic bags in the freezer to limit the dissipation
of the insecticide,
so that the strips would deliver as full as possible the balance of the
treatment upon being
replaced in the colony.  I understand the suggested analogy to the improper
use of
antibiotics and the possible build up of resistant strains of the mite.  I
also only use the strips
once each year, following the drop-off of the first major nector flow period
(and then into the fall).

 My nectar flows seem to dwindle, not stop, in mid-summer, and really
only cease in late fall.  This regimen allows me to avoid leaving the strips
on for a lengthy
mid-summer period while the bees are putting up honey that can only be for
their own consumption.