From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 23:19:22 -0500
Peter said:

> But, many commercial beekeepers are using plastic
> foundation as a protection against frame rupture
> during honey extraction.

No one has ever suggested in my hearing that
recycling honey super comb was going to help
control diseases.  Everyone has always focused
on brood comb.

Any comments to enlighten me if I am misinformed?
I hope I am not wrong, as the only asset a beekeeper
can claim as a tangible asset is supers of drawn
comb.  Bees die, brood chambers rot, trucks wear
out, employees quit, and everything else is a
"consumable".  Supers of drawn comb have value,
and can even serve as collateral for a loan from
a small bank in a rural area.

I am a very big fan of plastic in wood frames
for honey super combs.  No one likes a blow-out
at high RPMs.  Most of them will burn up an
extractor drive belt pretty good if you have
wandered away from the extractor when they
happen.