From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 07:58:15 -0600
Date:F     Fri, 9 May 1997 08:55:17 -0400
From:      <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:   Message ("Your message dated ...")
To:        Allen Dick

> Your message dated Fri, 9 May 1997 06:59:21 -0500 has been successfully
> distributed to the BEE-L list (493 recipients).
---

I don't normally get this message, since I have the LISTSERV option set to
send me a copy of my original post each time instead; however I am shocked
to see how subscriptions have plummeted.

Perhaps this is due to the recent renew campaign run automatically by the
LISTSERV, or maybe it is due to fund-raising activities -- or some other
reason.

Perhaps, some will argue that it is due to Best of Bee.  Whatever
the reason it seems to me that we might wish to understand why the list
has achieved such a low subscription level, rather than growing steadily.

Best of Bee now has 225 subscribers and that group seems pretty stable and
grows steadily -- with sudden spurts right after any unpleasantness.

Perhaps the number on Best of Bee should be added to the BEE-L numbers to
arrive at the true BEE-L total, but I doubt it; I assume that many
(most?) have a BEE-L subscription too, unless setting BEE-L NOMAIL also
turned off the renewal reminder and they are lurkers who seldom post and
would thus not get a message that they are not BEE-L subscribers.  MAybe
someone would like to compare the two membership lists?

At any rate, I would appreciate any thoughful comments on this and ideas
as to where we should go from here.

Allen