From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:16:28 +0200
Dear Beefriends

Chris Slade writes

> water is not the only fluid in the bucket that will
> be affected by the reduction in pressure.  You are likely to lose the most
> precious, the most volatile, the most ephemeral of essences: the subtle
> differences in bouquet and flavour that distinguish a fine wine from
plonk.

Chris is quite right. If we are in outer space, where is no external
pressure, our blood will boil. Boiling is a process of liquid evaporating
from all mass volume at the same time.
But look at the oil refinery. First of all evaporates the liquid with the
lowest boiling temperature. These who boil moonshine know it the best :)
It seems to me that the essences are based on oil and therefore they have a
higher boiling temperature than "water" (solution). Maybe, there is possible
to choose such temperature and pressure conditions the water evaporation is
much higher than of the fragrant oils ?
This questions is for chemists.

Cheer up
Rimantas Zujus