From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:34:17 -0500
Tim Arheit wrote:

> Anyone have any tips and trick on collecting bees in a jar for use with
> apitherapy,
> especially during the winter months?  I've had my first request to provide
> bees for
> treatment of MS and I'm a little unsure how to proceed

Use the Charles Mraz method:

    Start with a quart canning jar. Pour about 1/4 inch of honey into the bottom
of the jar. Place a wad of tissue over the honey. Next, insert a toilet paper
tube into the jar, against the tissue. This tube has two "V's", about an inch
high, cut out of the bottom rim. The bees use the tube for a clustering spot. The
"V's" allow the bees access to the inside of the tube. With the cap off, place
your jar setup against the upper entrance of the hive. Rap on the hive, or blow
into the upper entrance. When the bees pour out of the hive to investigate, scoop
them up. The bees will keep in this jar for at least a week.
    I've been using this setup for keeping my bees this winter. I don't like to
go all winter without any stings, so I sting myself a few times each week. I
don't believe it good for my body to receive all the venom I do in the warm
months, and then get none during the winter, and then get back into it in April.
Also, It seems to keep my fingers from stiffening up. After stinging the knuckles
of my left hand, my fingers work much better at fretting the guitar.

                                                            Mike