From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:48:00 EST
In a message dated 2/1/99 7:22:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> What kind of mating nucs are most used by commercial breeders?  I am setting
>  up two mating yards with 150 mating nucs each and I am planning to use
>  normal size frames, so I think I will use a standard box divided in three
>  sections, then I will have three 3 frame nucs in the same box.

    It's a very common arrangement. One beekeeper I know uses entirely 6 5/8
boxes for his mating nucs.

    Two things to make sure of:
1. Make sure there is no possible crossover from any cracks (mismatches) or
you will lose some of the queens.
2. The center nuc must have the opening on the back side. Otherwise you have
three entrances all lined up too close. Bees seem to distinguish between right
and left of two entrances, but the bees will likely not return into the center
entrance at all. This means you have to make up a special bottom board.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm