From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:27:49 -0600
> As the old saying goes, you can move them an inch
> or five miles - not much inbetween.  My advice would be to save your energy.

Like a lot of old sayings, this one is baloney.  There is an element of truth in
it and it is for rank beginners, so they will not get themselves into trouble.
Sorta like 'Don't touch the stove or you'll burn yourself'.

Adults touch stoves and don't burn themselves.  Any knowledgeable beekeeper
moves hives anywhere he/she likes by observing bee behaviour and knowing when a
move will cause confusion and when it will not.  Generally, any time the bees
have not been flying much -- or preferably at all -- for a few days, you can do
pretty well as you please, if you take a few precautions.

There is lots of discussion in the archives under moving bees and observation
hives.

Frankly, I don't know why this type of statement keeps coming back on what is
*supposed* to be  'Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology' or
how it gets approved.

allen