Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:22:02 GMT+0200
Subject: Re: Mites

Hi All

As regards the post about sighting mites of a redish nature running
around the front board of the hive:

I do not know whether the natural hive 'pseudoscorpions' which are
found in south africa occur in european bee populations as well.

In my area as well as further up in africa one is likely to find
populations of small pseudoscorpions attached to swarms. These
animals are also resident in the hives and as far as I have read are
believed to be harmless. I believe they feed on smaller mites and
things in the hive. Apparently they are less common in man kept
hives. Swarms that were infested usually lost the mites in my
experience. (three cases).

I saw one mite walking on the entrance board, but speedy was not a
word I would use to describe it!!

Keep well

Garth
---
Garth Cambray       "Opinions expressed in this post may be those
15 Park Road         of Pritz, my cat, who knows a lot about
Grahamstown          catfood."
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

In general, generalisations are bad.
But don't worry BEEEEEE happy.