From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:53:20 +0900
Peter Dillon posted
> Sterilisation of the plastic by physical means is not easy, nor are
> chemical methods as far as I am aware.

I know this is dangerous discussion territory, but for what its worth, I do
sterilise plastic frames and foundation using chlorine, and its not really
hard!

I have been using chlorine to sterilise AFB infected equipment for some time
with no evidence of breakdown. However you have to be very selective in
order to achieve that. Timber frames and brood combs can NOT be sterilised
this way.
Plastic foundation in timber frames must be separated, The frames can stay
in the box when this is hot wax dipped or irradiated. The wax comb can be
stripped from the foundation by freezing and then flexing. The bare plastic
foundation sheet can then be sterilised by soaking in chlorine solution.
One piece plastic frames and foundation with drawn comb that is WHITE, ie
that has never had brood in it and therefore has no pupal cases in the comb,
can also be sterilised this way after it has first been soaked in water to
remove all traces of honey.

FWIW I also use this method to sterilise boxes, provided that
a)    the paintwork is in 1st class condition (no bare wood), or the box has
previously been wax dipped (ours are wax dipped when new as a preservative
for the timber, and then only painted on the outside for temperature
control).
b)     all wax and propolis is scraped off, and the box is detergent washed
first.

It works for me, and is much preferable to burning plasticware.

When using chlorine sterilisation the important thing is to remember it is a
surface steriliser only. If the surfaces are non-wetting due to wax or
propolis deposits it will not work and breakdown will occur. Also, bare
timber + chlorine = paper pulp!

Peter Detchon
(Western Australia)