Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 02:49:50 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>We would do anything to protect our kids.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.  It's worth noting that with the best of intentions, parents have done all manner of things to protect their kids that didn't work out so well (everything from taking DES "to protect the fetus" to putting their children in the care of trusted adults that turn out to be abusive).

>But I don't withhold economical, safe treatments from my animals and watch them die, just to be a purist about it.

certainly i have watched bees die...as have you.  what was "safe" 10 years ago is recommended against today.  what seems economical to you is exactly what my customers are paying me _not_ to do...so it turns out to not be so economical for me.

from any kind of moral standpoint, i can't see bees being more "special" than a colony of ants invading the kitchen or a slug that might live in the garden (allowing weak colonies to die is not like locking a horse or a puppy in an empty barn to starve)...i happen to like bees more than i like ants or slugs, and in my best judgment, on a practical level, i'm going to have better bees in the long run letting some of them die.  you certainly don't have to agree with me, and you can certainly keep your bees the way that you feel is best.

with that said, i'm not sure what the point of any of this is.  you objected to my pointing out that a particular statement was from a spokesperson for Bayer, and that it was important to know it came from a spokesperson...in some kind of non-sequitur that i don't understand, you turn this into an attack on a book you haven't read.

...you came back calling me anti business, anti science and a "rabid" xenophobe...for no reason that i can discern or even imagine.  it's insulting in the extreme, and even more confusing.

i'm not sure what gives, but i'm pretty sure it holds little interest to readers of bee-l.

deknow