From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:19:02 -0500
> Perhaps we should use the scientific term "diutinus" bees (meaning
> long-lived).  Bees can go into this state either in winter, or during any
> time of dearth or stress.  It appears to be a survival mechanism which
> allows for extended lifespan when forage is cut off.

It appears that calorie restriction extends life expectancy.  Research on a
number of species indicate that a 30% decrease in intake has an effect.  I
don't know that honeybees have been included, but other insects have.  It
would seem to be a survival tactic that would come into play each fall when
forage falls off giving the longer lifespan to the winter bees.

If the October/November bees had the six-week lifespan of a June bee, we
would all be out of business.  The bees would have disappeared long ago.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL