From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:47:45 -0500
> If you can get sucrose syrup from a factory (refiner) the price should
> be less than bagged, since the plant has to dry out the syrup and
> crystallize, then bag it.

We buy from International ingredients out of St. Louis , Missouri.
Beekeepers
feel small when we get in line behind tanker after tanker being loaded. At
the Kansas plant the plant  employees  many times will let us jump the
line as only takes a few minutes to fill us.

International ingredients is a big outfit. Largest sucrose and HFCS supplier
in our area. In fact they only sell wholesale, All orders have to be
processed through the Saint Louis office and then an order is sent to the
Kansas plant. As far as I know the plant will not fill drums. Totes only.

The plant only sells 42% HFCS as there is no demand for the 55% in our area
so when we were using 55% HFCS we ordered tankers through one of the bee
supply houses and the load was shipped out of a plant 4-500 miles north of
us.

From International ingredients our bills tell the amount of dry sugar used
and a fee is included in the dry sugar price for making into solution. I
believe the company also sells sugar but only at our plant in 2,000 pound
forklift bags.

So if the current price today is 49 cents dry weight when mixed then the bag
price would be in the range of 43 cents a pound.(which I believe might be
higher than some bag wholesale outlets.)

I have wondered if beeks in our area are being screwed but these people are
the only source for * mixed* sucrose I know of in the area.

I used to do business with Liquid sugars in the West bottoms of KC years
ago. I might call and see if they can get or sell sucrose. I was told they
only sold 42% HFCS ( which was all they used to sell). I had part of the
scrap from Liquid sugars for a few years and then they started putting the
scrap back on a railroad tanker to be sent back east to be re refined.

bob