From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:58:42 -0500
> The concern is twofold: frustrated breeders might smuggle in bees carrying
> pests and diseases,

Like goes on in other countries?

 If you have a legal method most will choose the legal method. The
Australian import system was very expensive ($4-5,000 U.S.  per queen)I have
been told  but still breeders used the service. Sad to see the service
dropped.

> "That's peculiar because I found out in round-about ways (the review) was
> about colony collapse disorder," said Dr Anderson, an expert on the
> phenomenon of bee die-offs, now linked to poor management.

"now linked to poor management"??????

Enjoy Australia being mite free as *in my opinion* is the reason you do not
see what we call CCD. Australian has nosema ceranae so the only missing
piece of the puzzle is mites and with mites comes virus issues. CCD is NOT
as simple as poor management! I highly respect Denis Andersons expertise but
I have seen a hell of a lot more CCD than he has .I study patterns and the
first pattern to emerge with CCD was no CCD issues in areas like Australia
with no mites. Terry Brown (Browns Bees Australia) and I have discussed the
issue monthly since 2005.

In areas of no mites and with beekeepers which keep varroa loads low (very
low!) nosema ceranae seems to not be a big problem.

*In my opinion* the two standout factors with CCD is nosema ceranae present
in above what I considered correct levels and wide spread through out the
apiary and varroa control higher than what I consider a low varroa load.
When these factors happen the slightest stress such as shipment to
California or Texas or other stress can cause CCD symptoms. Both these
issues can surface in the best beekeeping operations for a variety of
reasons.

bob