From:
Bob Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:04:01 -0400
Hello Becky,
I just read your post asking whether the beetles will hatch out in your
extracted honey.  I live in Florida and I have lots of beetles in all of my
hives.  I have seen the beetles completely destroy a full comb of brood in 4
days.  2 weeks ago I took a full comb of capped brood from a strong hive and
gave it to another hive which was stressed from the beetles.  When I checked
it 4 days later, the beetles had hatched out and destroyed almost all of the
brood on both sides of the comb.  I took pictures and will send them to you
if you wish.

We only have 6 hives and we have to keep on top of what is going on all the
time.  I have lost 2 hives this year which had new queens and lots of honey.
We extract our honey within 1 day because of what we have seen.  I have been
worried, much like you, about the beetles hatching out in the settling tank.
I haven't seen this yet, but I will let you know if it happens.  The beetles
will hatch out in your cappings.  We freeze the cappings to avoid a problem.
I hope this helps you.  Bob Bassett - Fighting Hive Beetles and the effect
of too many birthdays.