From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 08:07:11 -0700
I hesitate to step into this debate, but would like to keep it factual.

>fumagillin has been implicated as contributing to the near universal
replacement of N. apis by N. ceranae

Pete, my reading of the data does not so much indicate "replacement," but
perhaps more of an occupation of a less than fully exploited niche.  The
data from both the Higes and Pernal groups show that N apis has not been
completely displaced.

And the "implication" that fumagillin gives N ceranae a competetive
advantage is highly speculative.  The chart of nosema prevalence over the
years from the Bee Disease Diagnostic Lab suggests that N apis was a minor
parasite for many years, despite little use of fumagillin.

>These are very aggressive organisms, fully capable of mutating and
exchanging genetic material. Add antibiotics to the mix and you create a
recipe for the generation of newer more virulent forms.

I offer that the mutations and exchange are more likely to create elevated
virulence.  I don't follow the logic that the evolution of resistance to an
antibiotic would necessarily make an organism more virulent.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA