From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 10:58:57 -0400
Let me explain our bee vacuum.  The more you use it, the more design
changes you come up with.  First I'll explain the current box, then explain
the changes we have in mind.

The vacuum is made with two boxes, the bottom box is an old regular deep
hive body with a piece of plywood nailed on the bottom.  The handholds
allow an easy lift.  We have a hole cut out on the bottom half of one side
which accepts the vacuum hose.  We have a sliding door (made from a piece
of vinyl siding fascia, shape:  _|  , with two small pieces of scrap wood
holding it to the box and allowing it to slide up and down.) that is over
the vacuum hole, when we are done with the suction, we remove the hose and
close the sliding door.  The inside of the box opposite the vacuum is
covered with carpet padding to help the bee's landing to be a bit softer.

The next item up from the bottom box is a frame built the same size as the
box with mesh screen in it.  There are latches to secure this frame to the
bottom.  This allows you to remove the second box and shake the bees down
before you remove the screen to shake the bees into their new home.  Of
course, it also prevents the bees from being sucked up into the vacuum.

The next item up is a second box.  This box is a medium super with a piece
of plywood nailed on as a top.  The plywood has a hole cut in it to accept
the vacuum hose.  We have a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in about a 3" x 3"
area.  There is a similar slide over these holes to allow control of the
amount of suction and to allow air into the box after the bees are in.
This box has latches to secure it to the bottom box.  If you have a long
trip home, you can take the top box off for more air, or just open the
slide over the holes.

We use a gas powered blower/vac.  You can adjust the speed of the vac right
on the engine.  We aren't always fortunate to have electricity by us when
we collect bees.  The flow of air is:

                           /|\
                           /|\
                         |-----|
                  ____|___|______
                 |                |
                 |      /|\       |
                 |______________|
                 |          /|\            |
                 |                |_
                 |      <  <  <      |    <<<
                 |_______________|

Our changes will be to allow enough suction at the end of the hose to
collect the bees, but to relieve it as it approaches the box.  We plan on
adding some plumbing pipe to the box where the bees enter.  The opening
right at the box will be about 8" or so in diameter, then come out about a
foot or two and reduce to 4" or so, then come out further and reduce to
regular suction hose size.  These changes are in the planning stages so we
aren't sure if the diffusion will be sufficient to reduce damage to the
bees and still allow adequate suction at the collection end.  Then we will
reduce the actual end of the suction tube to about 1".  Hopefully, the bees
will be sucked in at 1", then after 2" or so the diameter is raised to 1
1/2", to relieve some of the pressure.

We are also going to insert a glass insert in the side of the box to allow
us to watch the bees as they are being collected and monitor their progress
or lack thereof.

Any suggestions, corrections, or ideas will be welcome.  I saw on
sci.agriculture.beekeeping that Brushy Mountain is going to be carrying a
vacuum in 1999.  Hopefully it will work to save the bees.

Loving these bees,

Judy