From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 17:38:52 -0400
Hello,

I know many here are big on the brood break
theory for varroa control.

This is in refrence to early prime swarms
with old queen.

Prior to varroa crash here in Pa 95-96 and
till about 07 or so.  I tended to remove
more ferals 10 to 20 days into colony iniation
which produced brood up front, and would
have a fair amount of capped brood by
the 10th day.  -Colony focus on broodrearing.

I am seeing more and more ferals from
cutouts about 10 days into colony iniation
which focus on nectar gathering up-front,
and at 10 to 15 days, only a very small
patch of eggs can be seen.

I think this might perhaps be expected
with casts,but not with prime swarms.

I find this strange, and not sure what to
make of it, and wondered if any persons
doing early season cutouts have observed
behavior like this.

This adds a degree of difculty to early
cutouts if the queen runs deep into
the strucure, you are troubled to find