From:
Ron Bogansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:01:00 -0500
Hello All,
I think I have tried every method and tool for uncapping by hand, including
a torch.  I have settled on the uncapping plane.  It is a bit bulky and
takes a little getting used to, but I prefer it over a knife.  It allows you
to hold your wrist in a more natural position which will relieve stress.  I
have carpel tunnel syndrome and find the plane is better ergonomically.  One
bit of advice, which I should have followed, is order a spare heating
element.  The one I use died last night and it will take a few days for a
replacement to arrive.  The element is less than $20.00 (American) and is
good insurance. When I use the plane I control the temperature with a foot
switch.  I don't like to leave it on all the time.  This may be why it
burned out, but I prefer to keep the temperature cooler.  I guess I will
have to break out the blow torch until the element arrives.  (Before
everyone starts asking about the torch method, do an archive search.  It was
discussed in depth last year.)

One late but quick comment on EAS.  I attended it this year for the first
time.  It was great and I plan to attend in the future.  The speakers were
excellent, but the best part was meeting some of the people on the Bee-L
list;  Aaron, Herb, David, Kim and ol' George.  It is great to put a face to
a post.  It was comments on the list by Herb, Kim and George that made me
decide to go.  My wife even had a good time and she is not really into the
bees like the rest of us.

One final note.  The honey flow was less than expected in my area
(southeastern PA).  Some yards did better than others, but overall it was
less than other years.  I did have a few hives swarm after 13 days of rain
in May, but the flow was spotty through most of June.  The locust bloom was
good but came two weeks early.  The weather definitely had an effect.
 Yesterday was the first substantial rain we had in five weeks.  But all
that is what keeps it interesting.

Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA