From:
Dan Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:31:08 -0500
I have found 2 things that work. I have only had problems with bears at
the hives at night. During the day they go after the berries and
fruit...

Also, this applies ONLY to black bears, those of you with the feircer
varities are on your own ;)

1.) A dog that lets me know when there is a bear around and a VERY
bright light. I have used a spotlight (like you would use for spotting
deer etc. ) connected to a 12 volt battery. The brightness helps since
it reduces the distance I have to walk to chase the bear off. If you use
a flashlight, it's likely that the bear will only move out of the light,
which is 100' max with a flashlight. With a spotlight you can move them
over the river and through the woods. This only works if you are near
the hives when the bear is.

When you tire of chasing the bear off it's time for number 2.

2.) A good electric fence. Properly installed and grounded with a
quality charger. If you are installing the fence/controller just for a
hive or two it is expensive, but it does work. It helps to bait the
fence to get the bear to touch it once, preferably with the tounge or
lips. I have used a can  of sardines peirced with a couple of nailholes
hung from a hot wire.

Someone else suggested a radio, this should work in some situations, as
would a flashing light or other unnatural distraction. In most areas
bears don't stay in any one place for very long over the feeding season.
Their ranges are big. If they are staying in your area for more than a
few days they will probably get used to hearing the radio and choose to
ignore it.

Maybe place several tons of salmon in your neighbors yard??

Dan Jones