Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:56:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Babies are born sterile and get inoculated through birth as well as feeding, etc., post birth.  Vaginal microbes differ in non-pregnant women vs pregnant women.  As baby comes through birth canal, vaginal mucous is ingested and inoculation takes place.  Some of the microbes which are rare in non-pregnant women become abundant in pregnant women.  These are prominent in adult intestines and help digest milk.  (Check out the Human Microbiome Project...New York Times science section has been following it over the past few years and has at least several interesting write ups.)

Stomach acids that deal with botulism spores don't come in until 26 weeks of age (6 months) thus the "no honey for children under 1 year old" rule.  These stomach acids are probably what kills the poop inoculant. 

Re: poop inoculant...I'm pretty sure that any healthy individual can be a donor.  The use of a relative or close friend is most likely to ameliorate the "ick" factor.

There is talk of isolating the "good" microbes and making them accessible in the form of a pill.  I would rather use the complete infusion as I am of the belief that the microbes cannot be micro-manged and that microbes exist in complex relationships that go far beyond current understanding.

The poop infusion has a 95% success rate...folks are finally able to throw away the diapers and live normal lives again.

When I read the interview a couple of years ago with the Danish doctor who pioneered this treatment I was very excited and told my doctor about it.  I was quite surprised when she told me she would rather die than undergo a treatment like that.  She's a great doctor...I guess the poop taboo runs pretty deep.

Ramona

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2