From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:47:18 -0500
Bob & Liz wrote:

> So far testing has not shown that the  worlds honey  is a inferior =
> product to so called *organic* honey.=20

As Bob notes, the problem with "organic" honey is that testing most
honey will show no difference between true organic honey and my
"non-organic" honey. That being true (and tests have shown that) it is
too easy for someone to label their honey "organic" and practice
non-organic beekeeping. I know it happens and will go no further than
that.

The reason they can get away with it is simple. After the initial
inspection of the location and certification, there is no follow-up and
enforcement. The honey can as easily come from the organic location as
it can from their non-organic locations and other beekeepers. There is
no way, as with fruits and veggies, that testing will show any problem.
With honey, it is a program easily defrauded.

But nothing new here. "Raw" honey comes to mind. Some who sell it heat
it well above 122F so it has a longer shelf life or use heat (above 122)
to process it in the honey house. That you can test, but who does since
it usually is on a small outfit's labels?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me