From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:29:55 -0700
>So, would a pollen station work and if so, what bait

> should I use, including honey/scented syrup?

 Hi Bill,
I filmed a short clip two years ago of the preference of the bees for one
kind of commercial pollen placed in open cups near a beeyard (both were
Chinese from major importers).

One type  of pollen I had at that time been mixing in the open into patties
(I no longer use pollen in the mix).  Thus, bees had been finding the spills
and carrying it back for a week.  So they were well imprinted onto the odor
of that specific pollen.

However, when I opened a bag of the other brand, and set identical cups out
(side by side) containing the two types of pollen, the bees immediately
preferred the new one by about fifty to one!  The bees literally mobbed the
new brand, filling the cup solid with their bodies, and virtually ignored
the brand that they had previously been feeding upon.

So in answer to your question, yes, pollen could be used as an attractant,
if it has the right smell.

Randy Oliver