From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:25:09 -0400
> If we can't even get proper labels as to exactly what are in products

The issue of labels is an interesting one. I have been allergic to peanuts since a child, so I have to read labels. Long ago I memorized which candy bars had peanuts and which didn't.

Then you started to see peanut allergy warnings on stuff. It started out like "this product was processed in a machine that may have processed peanuts." Then they got more direct: "This product may contain traces of peanuts".

I pretty quickly realized that the candy didn't actually contain peanuts, they were just trying to cover their backs in case a peanut fell into a Milky Way bar and somebody got ill (like me). So I got used to eating candy, granola, bread, crackers, etc. that had peanut warnings on them, since they really didn't have enough peanut residues to bother me.

Then, yesterday, I bought a Milky Way and at the end of the ingredient list, after they listed the actual ingredients, there was a big warning that said "CONTAINS PEANUTS". So now they are actually placing a label on there that simply isn't even true. They don't have peanuts in them, they never have; I would know since if I eat peanuts, I go to the emergency room.

All this does is to get people who are afraid of peanuts to not buy products that don't even have peanuts in them.

GMO warnings are practically the same thing. GMO food doesn't hurt people but if the label goes on you will have to either give up eating 90% of your favorite foods, or eat them anyway and wonder if the GMO ingredients are going to cause fish scales to grow on your back.