From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:28:18 -0500
I live in Minnesota and I am wondering why all of the states
non-migratory beekeepers do not put pressure on the State Ag Dept to
put an end to migratory beekeeping in this state.

To my knowledge we do not need hives brought into the state for
pollination. IMO the economics of keeping migratory beekeepers in
business in this state is not worth the risk of bringing back AHB
genetics to our honeybee population.

I also wonder how this concern might be addressed by any state laws
on the books concerning invasive species and the state's
responsibilities to its citizens.

At some level we can point the finger at the migratory folks for mites,
SHB and antibiotic resistant FB.  What next? The track records looks
bad already.  Imagine trying to get insurance for a hobby or sideline
beekeeping business if AHB is continually in the news in the future. Or
imagine the fun of asking landowners for bee yard locations with AHB
in the news.

I'm afraid that this AHB issue could be a very divisive issue for the
beekeeping community  in the near future.