From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 22:16:28 +0900
Robert McKinnie asks for hints for propolis collection:

We have just completed the first year of propolis collection.  We have 700
hives with mats which is a joint collection and marketing approach by
Kangaroo Island beekeepers.  More beekeepers are joining for the next season.

We are using the propolis screens manufactured by J & D. Manufacturing (a
U.S. company).  We did test several screens and selected this as most
appropriate.  The mats have a grid of wedge shaped holes which the bees fill
with propolis pushing it up so that clean propolis appears above the flat
upper surface.  There has since been a new screen developed in New Zealand
but the cost is four times greater and we considered may interfere with
honey production - comments from users would be appreciated.

All hives have migratory lids but some are plastic and some without
ventilation holes.  We have found that by inserting a twig (size of match)
between top of propolis mat and lip of lid that sufficient light enters to
spur the bees to deposit propolis.

Production figures are uncertain at this stage because of the failure of the
main summer honey flow, causing the bees to retreat to the brood box.  When
bees are working directly under the propolis mat production was very
encouraging and was harvested either by placing the mats in a freezer for 24
hours and then cracking the frozen propolis off or by a thin steel scraper
across the top of the mat while still on the hive.

It is important that the propolis be frozen before packing to kill insect
infestation.

Care must be taken to avoid contamination by spider webs, wax or dead bees
in the collected product. 90% purity is the maximum rate achievable.
Apiaries in the vicinity of pine plantations do well and we also have yacca
which has resins.  We find considerable variation between production in
apiary sites and also genetic lines.

I believe the technology of propolis mats has only recently been developed
so that reference books will not be of great assistance.

On our experience flat lids are suitable if there is light or draughts.  Our
lids have approximately an inch of space above the top of the frames.  If
bees have access above the mats they will rob the propolis (presumably
depositing it again).

Care must be taken that the bees are actually collecting propolis from
vegetation.  Apparently they have been observed in urban areas harvesting
bitumen on hot sticky days from road sides.

We look on propolis collection as an additional product which takes very
little time and does not interfere with honey production.  It is important
that the mats be harvested at least once a month during the warm weather
since once the holes are plugged the bees will turn to other activities.

I am happy to answer individual emails if beekeepers would like further
information.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html