From:
DURK ELLISON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DURK ELLISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 19:08:00 +0200
> Subj: Re: Beenet Europe address change
> Read: NO                            Status: RECEIVER ONLY

> dear Bee-L friends,

> A change in address has occurred for the European Beenet

> The old address ( [log in to unmask])
> is NO LONGER VALID, since routing & gating of our
> email via fidonet has been interrupted by a money hungry
> member of fidonet Holland. We are exploring possibilities
> to get connected again, and in the meantime I shall be using
> the address in the signature below( courtesy of a dutch government
> organization)

> sincerely, Hugo

> --
               \|/
               @ @             Hugo Veerkamp
> ----------oOO-(_)-OOo---------------------------------------------
> | reply to:                     BEENET INTERNATIONAL               |
> |w. [log in to unmask]                    | mail : the Bee bbs       |
> | PLEASE MARK YOUR REPLY CLEARLY WITH:  |        P.O. BOX 51008    |
> | 'To Hugo Veerkamp'                    |        1007EA AMSTERDAM  |
> |(or your reply gets lost in bit heaven)|        The Netherlands   |
> | Beenet : 240:31/0                     | modem: +31 20 6764105    |
> | Fidonet: 2:2801/28                    | voice: +31 20 6715663    |
> Wilhelm Bos               E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> TNO Voeding
> Afd. Bioprocessing en Biomonitoring
> Utrechtseweg 48           Fax: 03404-54186
> 3704 HE Zeist             Tel: 03404-44977

 My comments:

 Access to the internet has become a very commercial activity here in
 europe. Official access for private persons here in Finland start at
 approximately 100 USD a month plus an extra per minute fee. If you wish
 to subscribe to a conference like BEE-L it's an extra 50 USD per month
 per conference. At least it's down from last year, then it was 450 USD.

 The reason I say "official" is because several BBS systems, mostly run
 by students who have hooked up with their schools host computers to
 provide their users with internet access at a more reasonable fee, are
 providing "un-official access".

 The terms "official" and "un-official" are from a conversation I had a
 few weeks ago with a representative of the telephone company here, during
 a presentation they where giving on their internet and www service.

 I asked him how they planned to compete with the less expensive
 competition. His answer was "There won't be any. These people
 who are currently abusing their their privileges will be found
 and shut down".

 So it's not surprising to look at a subscriber list such as the BEE-L
 list, and see that most addresses, outside the US, Canada and England,
 reference government and university servers.

 How ever the information generated by these internet beekeeping areas
 is considered so enlightening and informative that to restrict it to
 only a few (450 "rich :-)" subscribers) would be (in my opinion) a shame.

 In an effort to get these ideas, information and accumulated knowledge
 to the people who have the greatest use of it, the average Beekeeper.
 Although I have yet to meet a beekeeper who considered himself average :-)).

 BeeNet (Europe) maintains read only (some day I hope read/write) BEE-L,
 sci.ag.beekeeping and bombus conference areas. With the thankful
 permission of the internet area hosts.

 Who sponcers BEENET ?? Mainly the BeeNet Sysops.

 Durk Ellison
 OH2ZAS
 BeeNet: 240:2358/100
 email: [log in to unmask]