From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:11:32 -0500
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:04:42 EST, Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There are two other mites in those bees that we don't have, and from what I
>hear, don't want - EVER.

Of course. But I question whether banning the bees is the answer, and the
thrust of his article was about whether the Australian bees themselves are
harmful, since we have so many mite resistant bees here.

According to Erickson and Spivak, hygienic behavior is not limited to
certain strains of bees. And hygienic behavior seems to be the primary
weapon that bees use to prevent mites from getting the upper hand.

Then again, if the experts decide to ban imports again, I would
wholeheartedly support their decision, as they have no doubt given it much
more thought than Kim or me.

pb