From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:19:20 -0500
Id have to disagree with Bob for once... Us young folks (I'm 29) are not
afraid of the lifestyle. Its actually becoming more popular.

However, getting the capital to start from scratch in tue agricultural
world is almost if not impossible.

Over the last 3 years I have spent about $15k us dollars getting to just
over 60 hives worth and expect to spend another 10k this year on a honey
house.

I'm selling nucs this year and will be the first time bringing in real
money. But I still need to pay back my "wallet" for what I have spent.

I'm fortunate I have a great engineering job and a frugal wife and three
kids who understand my passion.

But it would take more money than any bank would loan me to go commercial
these days. Nor could I get there with the time involved away from my bill
paying job.

Even with non bee related farming if you don't inherit land and equipment
you can't aford it... heck a new massey ferg 60hp tractor with loader is
$32k these days....

In my opinion the only new guys or gals that could go commercial are ones
who inherit a bee business.

Of course this is my opinion...

Doug Ladd
Central Va USA