From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:54:55 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>>> I’m searching for procedures for harvesting mites and how to infest
> a specific bee.
>
> I'd imagine dusting a hive with sugar over a screened board would
> yield many mites within a short time.  You'd rinse the sugar dust off
> the mites afterwards.

I think that might be hard on the little darlings- both the sugar which
supposedly impairs their ability to hang on to a bee as well as the
rinsing part. Not sure how' you'd do that.

>>> ...choosing mature female varroa from the bunch.
>
> Is it easy to tell a female from a male?

The males are smaller, white, and never make it out of the cell alive.
Immature females are lighter in color and might make it out of the cell
or they might not, but in either case they don't survive long so if
you've got a live one on your hands, it's a mature female :)

George-
George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine