Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:30:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quotes of previously posted material.

Sent: Thu 2008.01.31 13:20
To: Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Carbaryl SEVIN

You need to be concerned with a more important issue - prevention of this happening again. There are two tools that can help. One is education of applicators and the other is enforcement of the laws.

I don't know the laws in your country, but, if the apples were in bloom, or if there was bloom (such as dandelions or clover) under the trees, it would have been a clearcut violation of the label.

Enforcement is a different story. In the US, enforcement is left up to the states and is quite variable. Enforcement of bee protection label directions is best in states with a large fruit industry that knows how vital the bees and the beekeepers are. Here in South Carolina, cotton is king and they own the pesticide industry, along with the regulators. 

Quick gathering of the evidence is critical to prosecution. The only enforcement action I've ever gotten in South Carolina is when I provided a video to the pesticides cops - of the application being done, as the bees were visiting bloom in the application area.

As to education, here is a flow chart that can be tweaked to fit various situations - this one is for cotton, and never got any support from extension, so I don't know if it's done much good. 

http://www.pollinator.com/cotton/flowchart.htm 

I had another similar flow chart that was picked up by extension in several fruit growing areas and was widely published through them. You might find it useful in educating your applicators - especially if you can get backed up by the right people.

One of the pesticide cops checking an application in progress to see if they have taken steps to protect bees (by waiting for petal fall, mowing bloom under the trees, using non-residuals after daily flight is over, etc.) has a wonderful effect on all other pesticide applicators in the area. Word travels fast.

Again, I've never been able to get any of this in South Carolina. They say they don't have the funds, but that's not true. Preventive enforcement is far cheaper than after-the-fact investigations.

Good luck. There is growing awareness of the need for pollinator protection that may help you. I hope it is in time. Pesticide losses and the foot-dragging on enforcement was a major factor in my deciding on early retirement. Because I had the largest pollination business in this small state, this was a loss for agriculture in the state - far more than is realized, I'm sure.

Dave, AKA "Pollinator" 

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2