From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 23:37:40 -0500
Grant writes:

> And as purely subjective and anecdotal as this case may be, why would I withhold something beneficial to someone suffering from an incurable disease?

My goodness, this story has rapidly morphed out of control. I never cast doubts on the use of beestings against various ailments. I get stung regularly and swear by it. But the gentleman in the news story was way out of line when he claimed that bee stings work on everybody, or else they're not human.

As for why not do it? Lawsuits for openers. Practicing medicine without a license. It's not for nothing that Doctors have insurance. One little fatality can really set you back. I would no more give bees to somebody I don't really know than lend them a handgun. Probably no harm would come either way but if it did you could be held responsible.

Offering false hopes also comes to mind. Doctors try to avoid this, at least good ones do. And if you charge money for stings, like this guy claims to do, you are really asking for it. I would hope people would have better sense.

plb