From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2018 19:33:54 -0400
> And how about the question that I posed earlier this season--did any of you
find much pollen in 5th-instar larvae?

My results showed very little pollen grains and none looked digested. I posted photo links back when we were discussing the issue.

>Has anyone seen a study where they marked those nurses that fed queen cells?

Not marked but there is this one where nurse bees were videoed. Interesting to note that with this data the 84th-hour larvae were fed less protein and lipids while the carbohydrate constituent increased. Looking forward to reading the whole study- I only have the summary.

>The behaviour of nurse bees provisioning honeybee (Apis mellifera) brood cells was studied by using video equipment to make long-terra recordings of individual queen and worker larvae from hatching until the brood cell was sealed. The contents of water, sugars, proteins, lipids and free amino acids were determined for larval food collected from brood cells containing drone, worker or queen larvae.

>The feeding pattern of queen larvae hardly altered during their development; most feedings occurred during relatively short (<50 s) visits of nurse bees and the composition of the royal jelly remained nearly constant. In worker larvae short feedings were regularly observed during the first 48 h of development but in the subsequent period of 36 h almost all feedings were of long (>50 s) duration. In this period a marked decline was observed in the glucose/fructose ratio for worker jelly. After 84 h of larval age, feedings of long duration were interspersed with feedings of short duration. At this stage the total sugar content of worker jelly increased and the contents of proteins and lipids decreased simultaneously.

Behavioural and Physiological Aspects of Nurse Bees in Relation to the Composition of Larval Food During Caste Differentiation in the Honeybee
E. V. M. Brouwers, R. Ebert & J. Beetsma  1986