From:
Murray Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 10:18:45 +1200
Thanks for new address
* Teds chuffed you can get to him on EM...the marvels of
electronic whatnots still amaze him..me too for that matter.

* Doc..Andrew in B mail newsletter had a report of a paper from
Moller et al on effects of bees in honeydew country.

* With Doc we are considered guilty without any evidence ie Honey
bees spread ling...no bees in Waiouru but plenty of ling. Suggest
strength of our argument is that the onus shd be on Doc to prove
that bees are deleterious or there is benefit to envir/economy
etc from banning bees rather than bkprs having to rpove there is
no harm from having bees there.

* suggest Doc shd be spending more time on enhancing eco tourism
and strengthening platforms rather that banning bees from
parks.!!!!!!

* Register..info from Baderley yest was that PMS's won't be in
place before 9/96 and provisions in Bio Act will most likely be
rolled over. However the thrust of govt policy remains to reduce
imputs esp to NASS business.So we have to continue working
towards industry funding. What NABU sort from Badderley was an
assurance that he wld work on our behalf to ensure the CVO/RA did
not take unilateral action to cut the register or support for
apiculture. EDPR has 3 components Bees,animals (vesicular
diseases) and hortic (fruitfly).

The register is currently funded under the Sirveillance vote. We
reinforced again the fact tht the register is used in
EDPR,Surveill, exports certn and AFB contract.Removing the
register is easy bu the rammifications need to be thought htrough
carefully esp export certn.

We asked Badderkley to keep the discussions with RA generic and
that the rumored reductions from RA of 1-5% be addressed after
the extent of the cuts are known. We will absorb our share of the
cuts but don't want to get cut off at the neck. RA are not being
very helpful at the moment..they want cuts but still want all
services maintained.Negotiations are continuing over the next
week or two. Industry imput will be needed to help secure our
place in the sun.