From:
Stan Umlauft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:49:26 -0800
Dear Bee_Liners

First E-MAIL
>Imirie Shims (invented by George Imirie) are wood frames with the outside
>dimensions of a hive body, and about 3/4 inch tall.  A 3/8" by 2" notch is
>cut into one of the narrow sides.
>
>Imirie Shims are used to provide an additional hive entrance during the
>honey flow, and during requeening by the "nuc" method.   A more detailed
>description of how the Imirie Shim is used is in this year's Brushy Mountain
>catalog, and I believe somebody posted a copy of the description on BEE-L
>last night.

My First Reply:
Having a second entrance between the bottom and second supers seems like a good idea. However, by providing  an extra 3/4 inch of space between supers you will create a mess with comb built between the frames above and below. Why not just make your 3/8 X 2 notch in the bottom of the super its self. Then you could just plug it against robbing, or when it's not in use. The concept is good though as it provides extra ventilation, and allows field bees to bypass brood area.

Then: Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]
> I was rather surprised upon reading the responses about the Imirie Shims some
> days ago, that no mention was made of the simple matter of drilling  a 3/4 or
> 7/8 inch hole in the front of each deep hive body.
>
>This is something like the standard entrance in some parts of
>Europe. We also have available a disc with a closed section,
>a matching opening, a QX opening and a bee-proof ventilator
>opening that makes the system very conveniently flexible. It
>seems a good system to me, I really must try it!

My Second reply:
A simple matter of drilling a hole in hive bodies. Sounds OK, but nothings perfect. Those holes are in use in several operations, but they too have drawbacks.

The end bars are so close they can block the hole, thus reducing the air flow , and impeding traffic.

With the 3/8 X 2 notch in the bottom of the super idea it places an easily defended horizontal slit in direct alignment with the 3/8" of space between the frames of the two supers.
--
Best Wishes,
Stan Umlauft