From:
Bee Breeding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:11:52 -0400
I am no expert on genetics, but given the previous discussion of whether a drone could be inbred or not.......  could only result from lack of diversity in the queen that gave raise to said drone.  The drone would be haploid, but still could carry defective copies of genes.  Right?

My genetics courses in college dealt with mammalian genetics exclusively, but would that drone not be "inbred"?  In mammalian genetics most sex linked mutations come from the X chromosome leading mothers to pass those mutations to their sons.  I haven't the foggiest as to how this works with bees.  :)

Given the way that bees procreate naturally it would seem unlikely that a drone with defective genes would be as successful in fecundating a queen ON THE WING let alone multiple drones with defective copies genes successfully pulling this off.  Where this could be a problem is with artificial insemination of a queen where arbitrary drones are selected because "they just happened to be caught" by the person conducting the insemination.

This is interesting.  Anyone have recommendations on books about bee genetics?