Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:08:12 -0600
Walt in South Carolina is worried about the behavior of bees in his split.  He
says:  "The bottom is trying, it has queen cells, lots of activity, all
except the fact that it looks like they swarmed, but never left the face
of the hive....balling the queen?  Will they swarm and move, or eventually go back in..."

I will venture to give an opinion on what I think is happening and why.
My guess is that there are plenty of bees in the split, but because they don't
yet have an active laying queen, many of those bees don't have any mouths to
feed, so are not motivated to build new comb or collect pollen.  I doubt that
they will or have swarmed, and as long as there is plenty of room in the hive,
I wouldn't worry about doing anything at all to them.  Just leave them bee :)
As soon as they get a new queen and she gets mated and starts producing brood
things should shape up pretty fast.  In my splits that are building their own
queen, I don't see very much in and out activity.  If I had extra bees "hanging
out" I would be pleased because that would be an indication that I have a good
population of young bees that will be ready to start working as soon as there
is a need.

Layne Westover
College Station, Texas, also part of the sunny South