From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:49:31 EST

In a message dated 28/12/2006 14:54:50 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

I 'd  like to know if is there any information or experiment made to
know how  could we find the  mating places, distances, from the apiaries,
the  queen find it for   the feromones I know, but how could we find  the
mating places

The best reference that I know is 'The Honeybees of the British Isles'  by
Beowulf Cooper. He describes the conditions he found in drone congregation
areas. Minor local assemblies may be formed where there are 'bubbles' of warmer
air. Major, distant, assemblies are formed by the interaction of wind and
topography producing a vortex of twisting rising air.

Cooper was concerned chiefly with Apis mellifera mellifera. I imagine your
bees may predominantly be A m ligustica and it is possible that their habits
may  differ slightly.

Chile being the shape it is there must be a very wide variation of local
climates and in the cooler parts your bees may behave as Cooper describes.

Chris