From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:38:10 -0700
>but it seems that honeybees are inefficient in spreading RNAi signals such
as siRNAs across tissues

Research by Beeologics and others confirmed that insects and plants posess
RdRps (RNA-dependent RNA polymerases) that indeed propagate the RNAi.  This
is currently a hot subject in biotech.

Bill said: So, for me, the issue is not to kick up the bees' immune system
since it will be overwhelmed, but concentrate on the mite.

We struggle with that question.  We find some colonies with high mites, but
no virus problems.  But should we mess up our breeding program by including
them with our queen mothers?  Nearly impossible to select for both traits
simultaneously.  I'm currently still sticking with selecting for mite
resistance.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA