From:
Steve Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:44:19 GMT
hi Sounds to me like chilled brood, I get this sometimes in the spring, the colony is expanding
rapidly, and I suppose the ratio of bees to brood area is lower than at any time of the year, the
cold snap then causes the bees to contract in the hive and the peripheral brood becomes chilled and
dies. My bees fly off with these white pupae and deposit them away from the hive. One thing I have
noticed is the pupae are always quite well formed.

My question is, are the earlier stages more resistant to chilling ? As I have never seen early
brood being carried out.

Steve