From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:59:05 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote, "I am starting a plan to treat all dead outs removed
from the field with acetic acid before reuse."

I too have been considering such a strategy.  I am wondering what effect
the treatment will have on the stores in the fumigated combs.  Comments
Bob?  Anyone?

From: http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HBE/05-055.pdf
Fumigation: Fumigation with acetic acid is effective (control),
especially when the bees are transferred
as early as possible in the season from contaminated equipment to
fumigated equipment. An
efficient method is to intersperse absorbent materials between piles of
hive bodies containing
the combs. Pour 150 ml of acetic acid (80% strength) onto the material
between each box. The
stacks should be left outside in a warm corner and protected from direct
winds for about one
week. It is also recommended that the material be aired for one day
prior to use (Bailey and
Ball, 1991; Shimanuki et al, 1992). Fumigation with ethylene oxide (ETO)
has also been
demonstrated to kill spores on combs (100 mg ETO/l for 24 hours at
37.8oC). However, there
are a number of safety issues associated with the use of ETO (Shimanuki
et al. 1992).

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!