From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:23:08 -0400
I get the feeling that some of those who have been commenting on Bee Blowers
have never used one!  There certainly is a lot of 'bad' information going
around.

First, and probably of least importance, the 'chute' sold by Dadant is
probably as useful as 'tits on a chicken'.  The best piece of equipment to
hold a super for blowing is a sawbuck.  Next best is anything strong enough
to hold the super (at a 90 degree angle if necessary) and at a height so the
beekeeper doesn't have to get down low enough to be uncomfortable.  The bees
will find their way back to the hive...Never having used the Dadant chute
(in utility it reminds me of the slanted board sold to help the bees walk up
to the bottom board from the ground or hive stand), I can't imagine whether
they get hurt from being 'slammed', but I doubt it.

Next the Dadant blower is a real machine; designed for all day work in 90
degree weather by commercial beekeepers.  Great, but not what is needed for
fewer than 500 or so supers.  Use a leaf blower, and use the most powerful
(at the end of the hose) that you can get.  Watch the ratings...the
velocities at the end of the blower and at the end of the hose are much
different, and the less scrupulous give you only the velocity at the end of
the blower.  Use it in any yard not near neighbors.  I agree with Jim that
the noise pollution they cause is incredible.

The Dadant blower will blow bees from just about anything, it is that
powerful.  However, it does not hurt the bees, nor does it even make them
angry.  It will not even 'blow a bee in half'.  Have you ever seen a honey
bee hold onto your exposed windshield at 70 miles an hour?  For 30 minutes?
They can do it, apparently with ease.  They have no difficulty holding onto
a frame against air driven by a leaf blower, with or without their head
stuck in a cell.  In fact, the only way you can 'blow' them is to get them
by surprise, which is really no problem.

Blow from the top or blow from the bottom makes no difference.  I usually do
both (with my leaf blower) and the commercial guy I worked with did the
same.  Turning the super over will usually result in catching the last few
bees by surprise and having fewer bees in the honey house.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com